FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Download high res version
OLD BAY Unveils “The Can that Connects Us” Celebration to Mark 75th Anniversary
Baltimoreans are invited to join OLD BAY for a summer filled with new products, the opening of an OLD BAYtique, an interactive mosaic compiled from fan-submitted pictures and more!
SPARKS, Md. (May 20, 2014) – For 75 years, OLD BAY has been “The Can that Connects Us.” A dock worker from Locust Point, a doctor from Sinai, a hairdresser from Patterson Park, a grandma from Dundalk and a drummer from Hamilton. Chances are there’s a can of OLD BAY in his or her kitchen – and yours. It’s more than a seasoning. It’s a symbol of good times that unites us. To honor this milestone, OLD BAY is unveiling “The Can that Connects Us” celebration which includes a commemorative can, new OLD BAY products, the opening of the OLD BAYtique at McCormick World of Flavors, an interactive OLD BAY mosaic, and much more!
Here’s what’s in store this summer:
• A 75th anniversary commemorative OLD BAY can! The can proudly calls out OLD BAY’s legacy and features fun OLD BAY facts people can share while connecting with friends and family this summer. The special OLD BAY cans are replacing the seasoning’s traditional packaging for a limited time. You can find them in any store where OLD BAY is sold.
• The introduction of OLD BAY Seasoned Freezer Fries! Baltimoreans have known for years that OLD BAY and fries go hand-in-hand, and now you can enjoy them in your home. OLD BAY Natural Cut Seasoned Fries manufactured by Mr. Dee’s can be found in Walmart Supercenters, Redner’s and other retail outlets across the country (SRP $2.99). They are zesty, convenient and will quickly become a family favorite. Visit McCormick World of Flavors on Saturday, May 24 for a free sample!
• The OLD BAY interactive mosaic! OLD BAY fans are invited to take part in OLD BAY history as the seasoning creates a giant interactive mosaic of its iconic can using personal images submitted by OLD BAY lovers. You can submit your picture for the mosaic from Memorial Day through Labor Day via a link on OLD BAY’s Facebook page.
• The opening of the OLD BAYtique at McCormick World of Flavors at Harborplace! Looking for one-of-a-kind OLD BAY items like baby bibs, ties, pottery, lunchboxes, scarves or beach gear? Look no further than the OLD BAYtique, a store-within-a-store that carries exclusive OLD BAY gear and items you can only find at McCormick World of Flavors. What better way to celebrate OLD BAY’s 75 years than displaying your OLD BAY pride?
• OLD BAY’s first-ever TV commercials and Billboards Featuring Real Baltimoreans! Starring both the history of Baltimore and the people who love it, two TV ads will air throughout the summer. The first ad, “If This Can Could Talk,” is a look back at Baltimore’s last 75 years of history seen through the “lid” of Baltimore’s beloved seasoning. The second, “What’s Inside,” features black-and-white photographs of real Baltimoreans from all walks of life. The portraits, which might just feature your friends and neighbors, will also be displayed throughout the city on billboards. The two ads can be viewed on YouTube here and here. They will also play at Cinema al Fresco Movie Nights in Little Italy this summer beginning Friday, July 11. Rumor has it OLD BAY will be available to sprinkle on your free popcorn!
• The tapping of an OLD BAY beer! Toast to OLD BAY’s 75th with Flying Dog Brewery’s new Dead Rise OLD BAY Summer Ale. We partnered with the Frederick-based craft brewery for nearly a year to create a beer that highlights the indelible character of OLD BAY through bright and refreshing citrus hop character and a crisp, tart finish. It’s perfect for a hot summer day connecting with friends. Dead Rise will be available in 6-packs and on draft in the mid-Atlantic through the end of September. Flying Dog also curated The Dead Rise OLD BAY Cookbook to accompany the launch of the beer, which features recipes from top Maryland chefs. Pick one up and cook up a storm with OLD BAY all year long!
• OLD BAY Day at Power Plant Live! On Saturday, June 28, Power Plant Live is hosting OLD BAY Day, a celebration of all things OLD BAY. Think OLD BAY crab feasts, an OLD BAY beer deck, OLD BAY Bloody Mary bar, homemade crab cake contest judged by celebrity chef and Maryland native, Bryan Voltaggio plus live entertainment.
• A trip downy’ oshun! OLD BAY loves Ocean City, Md., and will celebrate its diamond anniversary all summer long in the coastal town. Beachgoers will see OLD BAY messaging in the sea, the sky, and while cruising coastal highway.
• The return of Baltimore Bill! Sure, OLD BAY might be 75, but a few years ago the seasoning spawned Baltimore Bill, the weather predicting crab. In September, Baltimore Bill will return to Harbor Place for his third annual fall weather prediction. Bill is on a hot streak with 100 percent accuracy in his forecast and we expect nothing less from him this year.
“We knew we had to go really big for our 75th because OLD BAY holds such a special place in Baltimoreans’ hearts,” said Jessica Schatz of OLD BAY. “This city and its people are a part of our history. This campaign celebrates the story of every OLD BAY fan. While we’re all unique, one thing has remained true for 75 years: OLD BAY is ‘The Can that Connects Us.’”
Note to Editors:
Images of OLD BAY’s 75th Anniversary “The Can that Connects Us” campaign are available. Please contact Ashley Boarman at 410-504-8324 or email@example.com
About OLD BAY
For 75 years, this distinctive blend of 18 herbs and spices has been a time-honored taste. Just as the recipe hasn’t changed, neither has the iconic yellow and blue can. Once only enjoyed by a lucky few along the Chesapeake Bay, OLD BAY® Seasoning has gained fans all across the country. Best known as THE seasoning for shrimp, salmon, crab and other seafood dishes, these days, OLD BAY is used to flavor hamburgers, chicken, pizza, pasta, vegetable dishes and more. OLD BAY Seasoning is also available with 30% less sodium and has been the inspiration for 14 additional offerings. For information, recipes and the OLD BAY online store, visit www.oldbay.com and www.facebook.com/oldbay.
OLD BAY is one of McCormick & Company's (MKC) portfolio brands. As the leading global supplier of innovative flavor solutions, McCormick has built a portfolio of leading flavor brands that enhance people’s enjoyment of food all around the world. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavor™.
# # #